Monday 25 March 2013

Monster High Monday: Venus McFlytrap


We missed MHM last week due to snow, but I braved the weather today (actually it wasn't too bad, just little snow flurries) for a rather tricky Monster High doll. I've been worried about replicating this makeup ever since I started Monster High Monday's. I mean, fuchsia eyeshadow is never going to be an easy look to pull off, unless of course you're a green skinned plant, like Venus! I even attempted to ease myself into it, by wearing bright pink eyeshadow mid-week (albeit only on the inner corners and with lots of smokey pewter to blend). I wanted to get her out of the way though, because I knew I would just keep leaving her and hoping I never had to attempt it!
Venus is one of the newer characters and I don't know too much about her, besides that's she a venus fly-trap and a little eco-warrior. I haven't seen much of her in the webisodes or movies, but then I haven't watched a lot of them lately.
Besides the pink eyeshadow, she has bold lips, which I originally thought were also pink, but upon closer inspection are actually red. I was going to mix a bright red lipstick with a deeper plum to recreate the shade, but actually found a lipstick that was the perfect colour (that I didn't even know I owned!).
So how did I do? Well for the face I mixed Lancome Teint Idole ultra 24H in 005 with Pout 'Love Glow' Illuminator (been mixing this with my foundation since Robecca week) and some Dainty Doll concealer in 001 under the eyes and 002 on blemishes. I finished with a little MAC Cream Soda powder blush (Venus doesn't wear any) and Clarins Ever Matte Mineral Powder Compact in Transparent Opal.
For the eyes I blended Stuf Duo Eyeshadow Pencil in 06 Miss Universe (the pink end) over Too Faced Shadow Insurance, just up to the crease. Over that I wore Givenchy Prisme Again! in 1 Zen Pastel (the pale pink shade). For the bright pink I applied a shade from the Givenchy Prisme Again! quad in 3 Purple Emotion. I really winged it outwards and upwards, then tidied it up. I decided it was a little over the top, despite Venus winging hers all the way to her hairline-I didn't think I could quite pull that off! So I made it a smaller wing...it still looked slightly crazy in the flesh!
I finished with Lancome Hypnose mascara and lots of YSL waterproof eye pencil with a little Lancome Artliner for the flicks.
I lined lips with a pale pink liner and applied Lancome Rouge Absolu Creme in 164 Rouge Tentation. It's difficult to describe this shade, because it's relatively muted but falls somewhere in between raspberry and wine. It looked identical to Venus anyway, which is all that mattered. I also filled my brows using the Jelly Pong Pong Wakeup Makeup palette and that was me finished!
I actually quite liked it, after the panic beforehand! Definitely not one of the worst looks, despite my reservations. Here is The Shoe Girl Diaries post without blue eyes : )

4 comments :

  1. Ooh I love this look! You pull off the pink shadow so well! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  2. you eye make up is amazing but damn your hair O.o
    evertime i look at your blog i miss my colorful hair!
    you look like a pin up mermaid,
    simpl perfect <3

    I adore your blog, keep on doing this wonderful thing you do here.
    I had to follow you, you have a new fan now <3
    Hope you may visit my blog,too
    Your Amely Rose from:
    http://thebizarrebirdcage.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, it's needing recoloured, thinking of going for something different this time. I'll be sure to check out your blog x

      Delete

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.