Monday 8 March 2010

Oscar Red Carpet 2010

So last night, the Oscars-usually one of my favourite fashion events and what a disappointment! I haven't seen any tv footage, so perhaps with movement the dresses wear better, but from the images I've seen online, I thought it was average at best. So many outfits were just rehashes of styles we've seen before. Demi Moore in nude Versace was a poor mans version of the beautiful gown Penelope Cruz wore in 2007 by the same designer. Kristen Stewart in navy Monique Lhuillier (with zero accssories), not unlike Charlize Theron at the Golden Globes in Dior in 2005 and many others I've seen over the years.
Penelope Cruz in Donna Karan was like a less interesting and less flattering version of Keira Knightley in Vera Wang at the 2006 Oscars.
Amanda Seyfried and Jennifer Lopez looked like brides (not in a good way) in their Armani Prive gowns and did they really need to be dressed in the same fabric?
Charlize Theron usually gets it right for me on the red carpet and although this is Christian Dior, it's not good. Rose shaped boobies anyone? Whilst Chanel managed to make Sarah Jessica Parker and Diane Kruger look like crap! Both are usually impeccable, but these misshapen, unflattering gowns were disasters. I could've wrapped a satin bed sheet around SJP with more flair and the proportions are wrong on the overly fussy nude halterneck Kruger wore.
Zoe Saldana in Givenchy I really wanted to like. The purple frilled skirt looked like beautiful shaded pom poms (I love it!) and the sparkling bodice was very pretty. The bit in the middle though let the design down (not really sure what it's doing) and I don't think it all worked together-but at least she tried. I still want to say it's my favourite. Vera Farmiga in Marchesa was just frill overload for me and I can take a lot! She looked like an unhappy Quality Street, it just didn't work. Dare I say Miley Cyrus got it right. She looked so comfortable and happy in her Jenny Packham dress. Ok it wasn't groundbreaking, but it was cute and the accessories, hair and makeup all complimented.
Tina Fey and Mariah Carey weren't wearing Oscar worthy dresses in my opinion, neither was Maggie Gyllenhaal in patterned Dries Van Noten, Rachel McAdams in flowery Elie Saab (I've seen something very similar on someone else, haven't I?) and although Nicole Richie was original in Reem Acra, she could have worn that to any other red carpet event, not the Academy Awards!
A couple of girls got it wrong in the footwear department, Elizabeth Banks in floaty, frilly Versace with clumpy strappy platforms and the black thick strapped sandals Carey Mulligan paired with her Prada dress were also too heavy (and she had the opportunity to show off real gems of shoes).Kate Winslet looked drab in metallic Yves Saint Laurent while Cameron Diaz looked quite pretty in jewel encrusted Oscar De La Renta, although it was lacking something...a slim belt perhaps? Now, Hilary Swank...thank God she was at an Oscar party and not the real thing. Auditioning for a role as a hooker perhaps in this black Armani Prive? It's completely vulgar with no redeeming qualities at all. Cameron Diaz later rocked up at the Vanity Fair party in none other than metallic Victoria Beckham (shame about the shoes), while Victoria also wore her own design. What do you think, style extravaganza or style disaster this year?
images instyle zimbio

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wowee your comments cheer me up!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.